Friday, April 19, 2013

Memorizing Isn't A Walk in the Park

     Here I am trying to memorize my monologue and I realized something. This isn't the first time I've done this and yet it is turning out to be incredibly difficult. I was in an Acting For Non-Majors class my sophomore and we had to memorize a monologue for our first assignment. I picked a monologue from the book The Princess Bride. It took me about three or four days to memorize the passage. It was nearly two pages. It was longer than the passage I have now which is giving me so much grief. I thought, maybe it's because I didn't pick this passage or because I didn't know anything about the passage nor do I like it. It's from All's Well That Ends Well, a play I've never seen nor no nothing about. Then I thought, no it's not that. After all, I had never read The Princess Bride and up until about last year I didn't really care for the movie either. Perhaps it's the language but I dismissed that quickly. I've memorized short passages from Shakespeare and the Bible and even some in French so language wasn't it. Then I figured it was probably because it's the last week of school and I have so much going on around me with quizzes, exams and papers all being turned in that I was simply distracted. I have a lot more to do now that I did my sophomore year. So here's to memorizing while in the back of my mind I am thinking of rocks and maps for upcoming exams!

No comments:

Post a Comment