Friday, February 22, 2013

Thoughts on Hamlet

 I discovered in class the other day that I must have been the only one who didn't read Hamlet in high school. Apparently both high schools I went to had a different idea of what Shakespeare plays we should read. Anyway, I was asked to give a summary of what Hamlet was. I gave my best go at it and then I was asked where I had gotten my information since I hadn't read the book before. I said my junior high had put on a collaboration of Shakespeare's plays from Romeo and Juliet to Julius Caesar. In it they performed Hamlet both forward incredibly fast and backward incredibly fast. It was very entertaining and creative. I don't think many people can say they've seen one of Shakespeare's plays backwards.
When I read Hamlet I found it very entertaining and intriguing. Hamlet is on a level that none of his peers seem to comprehend. His puns reminded me a great deal of my friend Ammon who is the pun master. If the opportunity arises, Ammon will pun for all it's worth. Hamlet does this too I've noticed and it was incredibly fun to read the conversation between Hamlet and the gravedigger.
Having watched The Royal Shakespeare Company do a fantastic production of King Lear for my other literature class, I decided to look up their production of Hamlet. I knew that one of my favorite actors, David Tennent, was in it. He played Hamlet alongside Sir Patrick Stewart who played both Hamlet senior and Claudius. It was fabulous performance. David Tennent has played many a crazy character in his acting career from the slightly mad Doctor to the completely insane Barty Crouch Jr. (shame on you if you don't know these characters). His theatrics, especially with how dramatic Hamlet gets, were brilliant and Sir Patrick Stewart certainly knows how to command the stage when he is present. Beware, Gertrude has major hair extensions and she pulls them off quite dramatically.
I did not want to hold this back for anyone so here is a link to the play. I hope you enjoy it as much as me!
Hamlet-Royal Shakespeare Company


No comments:

Post a Comment